My massage clients frequently tell me how tired they are or how little they sleep. I’m not surprised! Do you know how hard it is to make yourself get a full 7 – 8 hours of sleep each night? That’s how much sleep adults need to function well and maintain optimal health. There are only so many hours in each day and it is often difficult to get it all done those 16 waking hours. If you are like me, most of your days are full of activities and commitments. By the time bedtime rolls around you are probably tired but still keyed up from the day.
Here are a few simple tips to increase your chances of getting a good night’s sleep:
- Stick to a sleep schedule. Set a bedtime and then stick to it every night.
- Avoid all caffeine after about 3:00 PM. Lots of people grab a Coke, coffee, or iced tea to get a late afternoon boost. Unfortunately, that often leads to tossing and turning after the lights are out.
- Exercise regularly. But do it earlier in the day. Exercising late at night will delay your body’s normal sleep response and interfere with your healthy sleep patterns.
- Create a calm sleeping environment. Remove distractions from your sleeping area. And whatever you do, don’t watch the news before turning out those lights.
- Spend the half hour or hour before bed doing something relaxing. You might drink a cup of hot caffeine free tea or read a part of a good book. Some people relax by doing crosswords or sodoku. Whatever it is that relaxes you, do a little of that before going to bed.
So, turn out that light! Commit to getting in bed at a reasonable time and stick with it!
To your health!